Sunday, April 12, 2009

Cooking for One

Last week was not pleasant.

I had just come back from a fantastic Spring Break trip spent with my family in Virginia and friends in Maryland. Needless to say, I was not excited to be back at work Monday morning. As the week wore on, my To-Do list got longer and longer and my mood got worse and worse. By the time Saturday rolled around, I was annoying myself and decided it was time to snap out of my pity party and channel my frustration into action. What better way to beat the blues than crank up the stereo and head for the kitchen?

While I was cooking for myself, one of my friends called to say hello. The conversation went something like this.....

"So, what are you up to?"

"Cooking." "Actually, I've just finished grilling a soy steak, am sprinkling on some soy cheese, and topping it off with avocado shavings."

"Um, are you having company or something?"

"Nope. I've just had a bad week and need some cheer in my life! Plus, who said cooking for one couldn't be fun?"

"Rock on."

And so here you go, folks. These are some of my creations this past week. The first photo is the one featuring the soy steak with cheese and avocado. It includes a fruit and gingerbread muffin (made with soy milk and low-glycemic agave syrup), Complete Greens drink, and half a grapefruit. And for our reading pleasure: Real Simple magazine. If you've never read it, Real Simple is a godsend for anyone with a chaotic life who needs to.....simplify.


The next meal starts off with a Greek Salad (romaine lettuce, carrots, cucumbers, garbanzo beans, and kalamata olives with homemade Greek dressing consisting of lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and Greek seasoning) followed with Trader Joe's Low Sodium Creamy Tomato Soup, Trader Joe's lite cheddar cheese stick, clementine, and glass of Pellegrino Italian sparkling water.


The next meal starts off with vegetable sushi made with brown rice (a better option than white rice) from Whole Foods. There is asparagus sprinkled with curry powder, fat free cottage cheese sprinkled with seasoning salt, dark chocolate, and more sparkling water.


I highly recommend buying some fun plates and place mats. And reading while eating rather than watching TV slows down the rate with which you eat thus reducing your intake. Not to mention it will probably make you smarter.....

More photos coming soon. Bona petite!



1 comment:

  1. Oh that's looking super yummy. I'm totally craving a Greek salad now.

    ReplyDelete